Located in heart of New York City’s Greenwich Village Historic District, this 11,875-square-foot building opened in 1901 as a warehouse, and was remade into multifamily housing in the 1970s. A proposed adaptive reuse as a private residence incorporates an aggressive sustainability strategy without altering the landmark’s outward appearance.
Achieving superior environmental performance required designing a seamlessly integrated network of passive and active green systems. Optimizing daylight penetration required just such a host of strategies, for example: a new roof includes a generously scaled skylight; the stairwell was reconceived as a full-height atrium whose cast-glass wall conveys daylight beyond the building core; sensors adjust solar shades and electric lighting in response to sun loads.
The renovation scheme also features solar thermal panels that supply domestic hot water, a heat exchanger that recovers energy shed from the HVAC system, geothermal heating and cooling, and other technologies orchestrated in collaboration with the sustainability consultant Transolar. In addition to abiding the New York City Landmark Commission’s strict regulations, the project targets LEED-Platinum certification from the U.S. Green Building Council.